Where to reach out to when you are the victim of domestic violence

Domestic violence does not necessarily refer to the violence that occurs within a home or family. It can take place in the event a person close to the victim exercises power and control over him.

The abuse can be categorized in different ways:

Physical abuse

When an individual hurts you physically or threatens to hurt you, a pet or a loved one, you should take action.

Emotional abuse

Emotional abuse, while hurtful often goes unrecognized. Emotionally abusive people tend to harm the feeling of independence and self-worth.

Economic abuse

If you have to ask for money from someone, and if someone else controls your finances, this is domestic abuse.

Social abuse

Social abuse comprises of insulting or humiliating a person before other people, exercising control over his actions or keeping one away from his family and friends.

Spiritual abuse

Spiritual abuse is preventing an individual from having his own values, cultural beliefs or religion. It also involves making one feel powerless by manipulating his thoughts on spirituality.

Keeping oneself safe against domestic abuse:

Abusers frequently attempt to downplay the seriousness of their actions. This makes the victim underestimate the extent of danger he is in. If one is being abused, it is important to safeguard oneself against harm. If you are not sure about your safety, discuss with someone. You may speak to a youth worker, a counselor or a friend.

If you are still unsure, talk to the police. They job is to protect you from abuse. Alternately call up the state or territory support lines. You can discuss the risks in your life with them.

Have faith in yourself. It is never okay for someone to hurt you or make threats to hurt you. See if you can remove yourself from the location. One must know his rights. Refer to a legal website. Laws vary from one place to another.

If you need to find a place to go, you can go to a refuge. A refuge would offer emotional support and practical help. One can also go to a family or a friend if things are tough. If needed, one can get legal support.

For matters pertaining to domestic abuse or otherwise, contact https://www.walkerlawgroup.com.au/ – personal injury lawyers in Sydney. Walker Law Group excels in public liability, WIRO claims, and personal injury.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *